There are a lot of benefits to cycling regularly – you can save money on motoring and public transport costs, and keep fit without having to pay for the gym.
Cycling can also save you time, as integrating cycling into every day activities, such as travelling to work means you don’t have to set time aside to keep fit and regular cycling can help to burn off calories and increase fitness levels.
Cycling for leisure is a great activity for families to enjoy together.
To find the quietest, quickest or most pleasant route to your destination plan your cycle route using a journey planner.
When using road routes ensure you know and understand the Highway Code
- wear appropriate clothing to be seen day and night time
- use good lights
- ensure your helmet is in good condition with no cracks
- be prepared with a rucksack containing essential repair items
- be considerate to other highway users and stay alert at all times
- make eye contact with drivers, see and be seen
Bikeability is cycling proficiency for the 21st century that gives you the skills and confidence to cycle in modern road conditions.
If you wish to access cycle training, please visit the Bikeability website and search for a local provider.