AQA GCSE Dance helps pupils develop technical and expressive skills as well as knowledge and understanding of dance through performance, choreography and critical appreciation of dance.
This four unit specification enables students to:
- Increase their confidence and self-esteem
- Employ the skills of problem solving and creativity
- Make knowledgeable decisions about dances.
It allows pupils to actively and physically demonstrate their abilities through the Controlled Assessment which is worth 80% of the qualification and the written exam which is worth 20%.
Units studied are as follows:
- Unit 1 – Critical Appreciation (Written Paper)
- Unit 2 – Set Dance
- Unit 3 – Performance in a group
- Unit 4a – Solo Composition
- Unit 4b – Solo/Group Choreography
Details of any relevant websites and revision guides to support the qualification.
The following link leads to the home page of AQA GCSE Dance which holds all useful information about assessments, Learning tools such as videos and resources to support pupils’ learning along with past exam papers and their answers can be used for revision. Pupils can access them using the link below:
Arts Pool Mark Up – This is a fantastic revision tool that will be set up for all KS4 pupils to enhance their abilities to answer questions on the written paper. (Pupils will be informed of how they access this when the subscription to the company is complete).
Professional works – Media Core through the school’s Unify site.
‘Swansong’ by Christopher Bruce and ‘Still life at the Penguin Café’ by David Bintley.
How will the KS4 qualification prepare my child for life in modern Britain?
Pupils are required to become professional practitioners and performers in KS4 Dance. This prepares them for the requirements of Higher Education and in the Performing Arts industry.
Information about extra-curricular sessions and extended learning opportunities available to my child.
All pupils have access to an extra-curricular Dance Company for their year groups and also ability.
- Year 7 and 8 – Unite Dance Company (Wednesday 15:00 – 16:00)
- Year 9, 10 and 11 – Dy-Fusion Dance Company (Thursday 15:00 – 16:00)
- All Boys – Ignite Dance Company (Tuesday 15:00 – 16:00)
- Gifted & Talented Dancers – Xpose Dance Company (Friday 15:00 – 16:30)
All KS4 pupils are expected to take part in their extra-curricular dance company; although this is not compulsory it is strongly recommended as it will support their GCSE Dance course significantly.
The Unfold Dance Companies are also available to our pupils and others from around the borough. Pupils work with an outside dance artist with more opportunities to perform and platform their work not to mention the significant support this will offer to pupils taking the GCSE Dance course within school.
- Unfold Youth Dance Company – Monday 16:45 – 18:45 (£5 Per session) – Years 8 and above
- Unfold Juniors Dance Company – Monday 16:45 – 17:45 (£3 per session) – Primary Years 4, 5, 6 and Year 7s
What Post-16 opportunities or potential pathways could this qualification unlock for my child?
The AQA GCSE Dance qualification provides a solid foundation for a career in Dance or the Performing Arts and/or further studies in Dance or Performing Arts, including A-level Dance.
There are also opportunities for pupils once they have gone onto Further Education to also be involved in the Unfold Dance Company as assistants and even teach.
Does my child need any specialist equipment for this subject?
Plain black leggings or dance tights
Black PE top
Plain black Leotard (for Controlled Assessments)